'A Long Way Down' by Nick Hornby : Book Review

Sunday, 4 May 2014

'Can I explain why I wanted to jump off the top of a tower block?'  

'Yet it's hard to jump when you've got a audience queuing impatiently behind you. A few heated words and some slice of cold pizza and these four strangers are suddenly allies. But is their unlikely friendship a good enough reason to carry on living?' 




After seeing the movie trailer a while ago I picked the book up. The book centers around four strangers who all meet on the roof top of a London building, dubbed 'Topper's House' with the intent of jumping off. The novel then follows these characters as they try to get through their lives after meeting each other in this extreme circumstance and illustrates their individual struggles as they battle their suicidal thoughts. 

Honestly I was left a little disappointed. I don't know weather it was because I read the book when I was busy and therefore I read it disjointedly but regardless I was left feeling like it needed more. The book is told from the point of view of the four main characters alternately which works really well as the characters develop and become dynamic as the reader experiences the way characters respond to the same situation. But for me the story lacked something, which I cannot pin point. I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoyed 'Catcher In The Rye' by J.D.Salinger as the character development is very similar, however I would not read the book again.

The next book I will be reading is ... 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simion.